About Me

My photo
Isle of Canna, Scottish Highlands, Highlands, United Kingdom
I am a Gaelic singer living in the Highlands.I have produced 4 CDs - the most recent being "Archipelago- Songs of the Scottish Islands in Scots 7 gaelic""released on the Greentrax label. The other Cds are " A Good Suit of Clothes- emigrant Songs" "Duan Nollaig" - a unique Gaelic Christmas double CD( also on Greentrax, 2007) and "Orain nan Rosach" ( 2006). Since May 2015, I have been lucky enough to be working as the Canna House archivist on the Isle of canna, for the Nationl Trust for Scotland, looking after the incredible folklore archives fo John Lorne and Margaret Campbell.I look forward to keeping you up to date with my music, gigs, news www.fionamackenzie.org Tapadh leibhs! Thank you!

Saturday 10 April 2010

The small town football team with big time aspirations- Ross County!!!!


Woo hoo! Can you believe that our local boys from our wee town in the Mid Highlands have actually achieved what wasn't thought possible...taken on the might of the Celtic side, thrashed them ,in great style, in a great football match and made it to the final of the Scottish cup! Incredible. But its true. Dingwall has 5000 population but 7500 folk made it down to Hampden today to support them! I have never seen Dingwall High St so deserted- poor stall holders for this months Farmers market! My daughter Katie was at Hampden too and she said that she'd never seen so many Dingwall folk in one place- not even in Dingwall! And as for my son Kenneth, well he's beside himself with excitement. He was busy day being filmed for a programme for BBC Alba about 'Football Nuts', and if there was ever a day for a TV company to film something really interesting and exciting then today was it! When I spoke to him,half an hour after final whistle, he was so excited , he couldn't even speak English let alone Gaelic!

Siuthadaibh a bhalaich! Thats he way to go Lads- Go on The Staggies! Roll on the final next month at Hampden- sure the world that the wee team from Dingwall cant be written off yet!

Song of today- Dean Cadalan Samhach- Sleep Peacefully. From Kintail, a lullaby,




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to ask me any questions about Gaelic Song or Music, then please leave your comment here and I'll try to help you if I can. Tapadh leat!